Oyster and Contactless
Your questions about Oyster cards and Contactless travel answered here…
Zip Oyster photocards
Children under the age of 11 can get a 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard to:
- Travel free on Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and most National Rail services where PAYG is accepted.
- PAYG at child rate on the Emirates Air Line cable car
- PAYG at half adult rate on Thames Clipper River Bus services
Children aged over 10 years and 11 months and under 16 on 31 August can get an 11-15 Zip Oyster photocard to:
- Travel free on buses and trams
- Travel at child rate on Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail, Emirates Air Line and most National Rail services in London
- Travel at half adult rate on Thames Clipper River Bus services
Find out more information on Zip Oystercards and under 18 travel.
Oyster PAYG fares on National Rail
With Oyster PAYG you get the cheapest appropriate single fare on National Rail services in London which means you pay less than the cash fare.
There are Anytime and Off-Peak Oyster single fares on National Rail with the fare determined by what time you touch in at the start of your journey. The Anytime fare applies Monday to Friday: 6:30am - 9:30am and 4pm- 7pm; Off-Peak applies at all other times, weekends and on Public Holidays.
Find out about Oyster fares at the TfL farefinder. You can also register your Oyster card for Railcard discounts. A 34% discount will apply to the off-peak daily price cap with the following Railcards: 16-25, Senior, Disabled, HM Forces and Annual Gold Card.
It will depend on what journeys you are making as PAYG is based on single journeys albeit with Price Caps; it does mean that in some cases the cheapest option will continue to be buying a ticket on the Key Smartcard or a paper ticket; especially for those buying season tickets, tickets with the GroupSave discount and period return tickets.