Help buying tickets online
Help on the best way to find and buy tickets online.
We thought you may need a little help finding your way around our new ticket buying system, so we came up with some hints and tips.
Helpful hints and tips
- Please ensure you’re using the same email address as your existing account as this is what we use to match your details
- Our new booking engine works best using IE9 and above, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari
- Before resetting your password you may need to clear your cache
- If you haven’t received your reset password email once you’ve requested it, please check in your junk or spam folder
- If you’re informed that the link in your reset password email has expired, please ensure you've cleared your cache and you’re accessing the site from your most recent password reset email, as any previous links will have expired.
- You will need to be logged in first if you wish to buy a season ticket on your key smartcard
- Ensure you select key smartcard fares on the season ticket journey planner. If you have a season ticket yet to be loaded to your key smartcard, you will be unable to purchase another one
- Please note that only season tickets are currently available on the key. We are planning to add all other ticket types soon
- Once you’ve selected your preferred ticket type, you’re able to choose at which station and on what date you’d like to load your ticket to your key smartcard.
- If wishing to load today then your ticket will be available two hours after purchase at the station selected.
- Please note that you will not be able to load your key smartcard ticket at any station within the London Travelcard area
- Enter all your journey details in the fields provided - you may need to scroll down if you’re using a small screen
- Entering a destination station of ‘London Terminals’ or ‘London Travelcard Zones 1-6’ will return the most extensive range of fare options for travel into London
- The date and time is preset to today plus two hours but you can change this by clicking on the date field
- Number of passengers is preset to one adult but you can change this by clicking on the passenger and Railcard field
- If you have a Railcard, please add this before ‘Finding trains’ on the results screen, view the calling points and facilities available by clicking on each service. The map will update to highlight the operator and your journey route
- The best value fare for your journey is always pre selected
- Other single and return fares are then displayed from low to high price order - please note you may need to scroll down to find First Class and Carnet tickets as these have a higher price than standard fares
- Clicking on ‘Show ticket details’ will expand the view to display all the information related to that ticket
- We ask you to select a train for your return journey to help you complete your journey plan. In most cases you’re able to travel on any train but please check the ticket restrictions if you’re unsure
- A number of collection options are available, including collect at the station and post. For post to be enabled you must book at least three days in advance.
- Station collection is preset to your departure station but you can change this to any station that has a self-service ticket machine
- Your journey selection is added to the basket at this point where you can either add another journey or review and remove the current journey
- Details of the current journey, including train times and seat reservation confirmation, can be viewed by expanding the journey details in the order summary
- Once purchased, you’ll receive an order confirmation email that contains all the information you need. At the top of this email is your booking reference and if you have chosen to collect your tickets from the station, further down the email is your ticket collection reference number. You will need this along with a card to collect your tickets from the ticket machine. If the email does not appear in your inbox, please check in your junk or spam folder
- Ensure you enable the season ticket tab on the journey planner
- To renew your monthly or above season ticket, please have your photocard handy - you don’t need a photocard to purchase a weekly season ticket
- If you have a key smartcard, ensure you switch key smartcard season fares on and then you can load your season ticket straight to it
- Please make sure your season ticket start date is at least three days in advance for normal monthly and above renewals - key smartcard renewals will be ready to load in two hours
- If you’re planning to collect your weekly at the station then a start date of tomorrow is fine
- Apply for a refund under purchase history in your account
- If you’re a key smartcard holder then you can view active tickets, review your journey history and request a replacement card
- If you had any active eVouchers on the previous system, these will have been transferred across to your new account
- If you would like to view the details of a journey you have booked, simply go to ‘Purchase History’, select the journey you want to look at by click on ‘view order details’
- If you need to remind yourself of the time or seat reservation, simply click the ‘journey details’ link and the window will expand to show you everything you need to know about your journey
- We will be adding new features to ‘My account’ in the coming months including the ability to edit your personal details, favourite journeys and save your payment cards
Frequently asked questions
We have been listening to your feedback and over the coming weeks and months we will be introducing a range of new feature, which you have asked for, these include:
- Improvements to the jouney planning map – some of you love it some of you don’t – we are working on it!
- Quicker to book open returns - you will no longer have to select a specific return train
- Ability to store card details
- Save and edit personal details such as address and email address in ‘My Account’
- Purchase DaySave tickets and PlusBus Season Tickets
- Request a refund online
- Amend bookings and make changes to tickets
- Save you favourite journeys
- Automatic refunds through Delay Repay
- Royal Mail Track and Trace recorded deliveries
- Update your mailing preferences online
Need to speak to someone?
No problem, you can contact our customer service team.