Delay Repay compensation
We are currently experiencing high numbers of customer contacts. If you have already been in touch, there is no need to chase us as we will get back to you within 20 working days.
Thank you for your patience
Delay Repay is the national scheme that train companies use to compensate you for delays and cancellations. You can claim if you're delayed arriving at your destination by 30 minutes or more when you travel with us (except when delays are caused by planned engineering work).
How to claim
Please apply within 28 days of your delay either online or by post.
If you are a Season Ticket holder, you may be entitled to claim enhanced compensation. Enhanced compensation may be available if your train is delayed by 30 minutes or longer for 12 days or more in a reporting period.
What you'll need
Proof of travel - this could be your original ticket, a ticket receipt, a copy of your season ticket and photocard, or a journey receipt if you use Oyster pay as you go or Contactless.
What are you entitled to?
Compensation will be paid in National Rail Vouchers which can be used as payment (or part payment) towards any National Rail ticket, including Season tickets.
Alternatively, National Rail Vouchers can be exchanged for cash at any Gatwick Express, Great Northern, Southern or Thameslink ticket office.
Season ticket holders (weekly or longer)
To calculate the compensation value of each journey, we divide the cost of your season ticket by 464; other period tickets are calculated pro-rata on the same basis.
- an annual season ticket covers 464 single journeys
- a six-monthly season ticket covers 240 single journeys
- a quarterly season ticket covers 120 single journeys
- a monthly season ticket covers 40 single journeys
- a weekly season ticket covers 10 single journeys
If you're delayed by:
- 30-59 minutes you're entitled to 50% of the cost of a single journey
- 60-119 minutes you're entitled to 100% of the cost of a single journey
- 120+ minutes you're entitled to 100% of the cost of a return journey
Please see our Passenger's Charter for more information.
Day ticket holders
If you're delayed by:
- 30-59 minutes you're entitled to at least 50% of the single fare paid, or for a return ticket at least 50% of the fare paid for the affected portion
- 60-119 minutes you're entitled to 100% of the single fare paid, or for a return ticket at least 50% of the fare paid for the affected portion
- 120+ minutes you're entitled to 100% of the cost of the fare paid whether it was for a single or return journey
You can apply online or by post. To apply by post, please download a claim form.
Once you’ve completed the form, please send it to us at:
Govia Thameslink Railway
Telephone: 0345 026 4700
We’ll respond to your claim within 20 working days.